BUILT TO TAKE ON ANYTHING!
The legend of the Thar has been in the making for more than seventy years, the adventurer’s car of choice, Mahindra’s original all-terrain, come-what-may jeep.
With its classic body and contemporary features, the Thar is tougher than you could imagine. Armed with the Borg Warner 4WD System that provides 2.48 crawl ratio in low-range, its traditionally high approach and departure angles (44º and 27º respectively) with a 15º ramp over angle, great overall clearance at 200mm, a new mechanical locking rear differential and auto locking hubs, you and your Thar are ready to render the impossible possible.
Above: The mechanical locking differential provides enhanced traction on loose and slippery surfaces without the need for pushbuttons, shift throws or other interventions. Right: Early Mahindra vehicles assembled in front of the Kandivali factory, Mumbai (circa 1949).
COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
The extended wheel arches and toughened front and rear bumpers accentuate the Thar’s rugged looks while protecting the bodywork from any damage. Clear lens headlamps provide powerful light over any terrain whilst the removable canvas canopy helps to immerse you in the natural world around you and experience the elements at close hand.
01 – The Thar comes with a factory-fitted air conditioner and heater as standard, with multi-directional vents to keep you comfortable in any circumstances.
02 – The front seats are wide and offer ample support to reduce strain when driving over long distances.
03 – The steering wheel is designed to fit your hands and equipment is positioned exactly where you need it.
04 – The floor-mounted centre console houses two cup holders.
05 – The three-pod instrument cluster provides clear and easy to read information as you drive.
PRESENCE ON AND OFF-ROAD
It’s not only about butch and brawn, though, as there is a factory fitted air conditioner and heater with multi-directional vents to keep you comfortable in any circumstances, wide front seats to reduce the strain of driving over long distances, and steering wheel and gear lever designed to fit your hands and positioned exactly as you need them.
Power steering makes maneuverability a breeze with a carlike turning circle of just 5.75m. The two-tone dashboard is attractive, whilst the three-pod instrument cluster provides all the information you need while you drive. There are even cup holders provided in the floor mounted centre console and a lockable glove compartment to keep your essentials safe from the wiles of nature.
The Thar features the NEF TCI-CRDe 2.5l turbo-diesel engine, providing a perfect balance of power and torque. It generates 78kW of power at 3,800 r/min and 247Nm of torque at 1,800 – 2,000 r/min, providing unmatched capability on any terrain. The manual shift-on-the-fly 4WD with high and low ratio, along with the closely matched ratios on the main gearbox enable the driver to maintain headway under most conditions, whilst the mechanical locking differential provides
enhanced traction on loose and slippery surfaces without the need for pushbuttons, shift throws or other interventions. The auto-locking hubs disconnect the front axle when not required, reducing wear and tear and increasing fuel efficiency.
The factory-fitted digital immobiliser with encrypted key-recognition system provides individualised security to the Thar.
- Speak to your dealer about the comprehensive range of accessories available to make your Thar really your own. These include off-road tyres, snorkel, winch, grille protector, front bumper and hard top roof.
- The NEF TCI-CRDe 2.5l turbo-diesel engine provides a perfect balance of power and torque (78kW and 247Nm respectively).
- – 4. The manual shift-on-the-fly 4WD with high and low ratio, along with the closely matched ratios on the main gearbox enable the driver to maintain headway under most conditions.
- 2-speed windscreen wipers with intermittent wipe
- 3-pod instrument cluster with chromed bezels
- 3-speed fan and front demister
- 12V power outlet
- Adjustable headrests
- Air conditioner
- Audio system (dealer only option)
- Backlit instrumentation with digital odometer
- Black fender extensions and styled front bumper
- Black side rear view mirrors (manual)
- Black side steps
- Chrome badging
- Clear lens headlamps
- Dash-mounted passenger assist grip
- Day/night rear view mirror
- Digital Immobiliser
- Dual-tone dashboard
- Durable cloth seat trim
- Emergency recovery points front and rear
- Fixed canopies (Steel, fibreglass, aluminium) - optional
- Flexible mud-flaps front and rear
- Floor console with cup holders
- Front bucket seats with 3-point safety belts
- Iconic, body-colour 6-slat grille
- Lockable glove-box
- Low fuel warning light
- Manual locking fuel flap
- Manual window winders
- Power Steering
- Removable black canvas canopy
- Rollbar - optional
- Rubber floor covering in cabin front
- Seat belt warning light
- Silver accented bezels around air vents
- Spare wheel on rear tailgate
- Style line pressed into front doors
- Thick-grip steering wheel with silver insert
|Bore and stroke
||94 x 90 mm
||Turbocharged with Common Rail Injection
||4 Valves per Cylinder
||79kW @ 3,800 r/min
||247Nm @ 1,800 ~ 2,000 r/min
|Fuel consumption (combined cycle)
||Mechanical Locking Differential (MLD) EATON
|Shift-on-the-fly from 2WD to 4WD
|CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION
||Ladder frame chassis
||IFS with Torsion Bar and Stabilizer Bar
||Hydraulic, dual acting, telescopic
||Semi-elliptical Leaf Springs
||Hydraulic, dual acting, telescopic
||Dual hydraulic circuit with tandem master cylinder, vacuum assisted servo with auto slack adjuster
||226 mm discs
||282 mm drums
|DIMENSIONS & CAPACITIES
|Wheels and tyres
||6,5J x 16 steel, full wheel caps, 235/70 R16 tyres
|Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)
|Gross Combination Mass (GCM)